Our second athlete of the month for 2024 is an early riser! They are consistent despite traveling nearly every weekend to visit family in the south. He may be one of the strongest athletes that we’ve seen at IA but is extremely humble when it comes to his classmates. You can find him in the 5:15am class layered up all year round. His warm-ups can look like a max lift at times! Our athlete of the month for February is:
- Where are you from originally? Mesquite, Texas (Suburb of Dallas)
2. If not from Pittsburgh, what brought you to Pittsburgh? Work
3. Where do you work? Carnegie Mellon University (Assistant Vice Provost for Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion)
4. What is your favorite hobby? Travel and Art Collecting
5. How did you discover CrossFit? My friend and former co-worker introduced me to CrossFit when I was in Indiana. I took a year off during Covid but got back in the saddle when I landed in Pittsburgh.
6. When did you start CrossFit? 2017 then again in 2023
7. Why did you start CrossFit? I like the intensity and accountability of the workouts. As a former college athlete, it feels familiar. I also like the way my body responds to being in motion.
8. What is your favorite thing to do in CrossFit? I like lifting weights, specifically back squat and power clean.
9. What is your least favorite thing to do in CrossFit? Burpees and anything that requires me to be upside down.
10. What is the number 1 thing you want to get better at? Core strength and flexibility. I know these items will improve my quality of life.
11. What is your favorite part about coming to CrossFit at Industrial Athletics? I love the diversity of people. Everyone is coming from different walks of life. And regardless of what folks have to do when they leave, we all get to encourage one another in figuring out our fitness journey. The coaches are awesome and technically sound and they know each person, so they can push them in a manner that is correct for their fitness journey.
12. What is your favorite CrossFit WOD?IDK… the next one