For the month of August 2021, we chose a member who demonstrates effort and consistency. She attends the noon class throughout the week and can be found in class on either Saturday or Sunday morning. From a coaching prospective, she tries and it shows. When given a cue or correction, she responds simply with, “I’ll try,” and then does her best. She’s always curious and always wants to learn. The Athlete of the Month for August 2021 is:
1. Where are you from originally? I am originally from Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil.
2. If not from Pittsburgh, what brought you to Pittsburgh? Eduardo and I work for global companies and they both had openings in the US at the same time. My position was always meant to be remote (working from home, traveling when needed), and Eduardo was always connected to the Pittsburgh office.
3. Where do you work? I am a Sourcing Manager for Sandvik Mining and Construction USA.
4. What is your favorite hobby? Travel without knowing much of the place I am about to visit. I am always lucky in my findings.
5. How did you discover CrossFit? Back in 2014, I was a runner, working out early in the morning and running at night. I got married in 2015 and since then I was trying to push Eduardo to include sports in his routine but running did not get his heart. Months later, a Crossfit gym opened near to our home and he decided to join. I said no at first because in my mind it was just for “those six-pack guys”. Eduardo kept pushing me to do something together as my running schedule was busy and we were not having much time for each other. I finally decided to take only 8 classes to please him and I didn’t realize it until today, but this is a true love story! I quit running and you know the end of the history.
6. When did you start CrossFit? 2016
7. Why did you start CrossFit? To follow my husband despite all my initial judgments.
8. What is your favorite thing to do in CrossFit? Sweat, no matter the workout. Sweating releases enough endorphins to keep my mind healthy.
9. What is your least favorite thing to do in CrossFit? Snatches.
10. What is the number 1 thing you want to get better at? Double unders.
PS 1: please tell my hands that they need to help me.
PS 2: I promise I will train more.
11. What is your favorite part about coming to CrossFit at Industrial Athletics? The belong feeling I’ve had since day one. I feel that I am a real member and that my voice can be heard. Everyone cares and respects me with integrity and that’s so meaningful to foreigners like me that words can’t describe.
12. What is your favorite CrossFit WOD? Helen