It is time to announce the Athlete of the Month for January 2019, our first of the year. This individual joined us in 2018 following his wife. As a civil servant fireman, he embodies the IA spirit of giving back to our Community in hopes of making it a better place for everyone. He is always upbeat and super friendly. His positive and humble attitude is obvious as soon as he walks in the door and smiles. It has been great to watch him progress through movements like bar muscle ups and Olympic lifts as he applies what he learns from coaches. The first Athlete of the Month for 2019 is:
- Where are you from originally? Pittsburgh . Summer Hill area of the North Side
- If not from Pittsburgh, what brought you to Pittsburgh?
- Where do you work? I am a Firefighter for the City of Pittsburgh.
- What is your favorite hobby? Besides CrossFit I really enjoy playing and watching hockey.
- How did you discover CrossFit? I discovered CrossFit when I started the Pittsburgh Fire Academy, as it’s the PT program for recruits. That was my first introduction to CrossFit and I fell in love with the movements and different types of workout. I was never really one to work out regularly before discovering CrossFit.
- When did you start CrossFit? I started CrossFit in June of 2016 at the Fire Academy. I joined my first box in March of 2017, and moved to IA in June 2018.
- Why did you start CrossFit? I didn’t really have a choice when I started since it was the training program in the Academy. But I fell in love with it and decided to stick with it because it’s a great training program for my profession. Whether loading a stretcher into the back of an ambulance or being on the fire ground, it’s important to be proficient in functional movements like a deadlift or squat. Heart rates can spike within seconds as well so it’s important to have a good engine. CrossFit has gotten me into the best shape of my life and has helped maintain a level of confidence when it comes to my job.
- What is your favorite thing to do in CrossFit? Learning new movements and techniques. I love that CrossFit is constantly pushing you to be better and learn new things. Seeing that I’m capable of more than I ever thought I would be has probably been my favorite part of CrossFit.
- What is your least favorite thing to do in CrossFit? Pistols. Because despite working on them, I haven’t gotten them yet. But 2019 is going to be the year.
- What is the number 1 thing you want to get better at? I just got my first bar muscle up a month ago but I want to work on better form and being able to do them without the infamous “chicken wing.”
- What is your favorite part about coming to CrossFit at Industrial Athletics? The community. Coming to IA is the best part of my day. Everyone is so friendly, encouraging, and inclusive. There are no egos and everyone wants to see you do better.
- What is your favorite CrossFit WOD? It’s hard to pick just one but I tend to like WODs that are longer with multiple movements in them. I always enjoy a good chipper or a WOD like “Fight Gone Bad.”