It is with great pleasure that we get to announce the first Athlete of the Month for 2020. He is as consistent as you can get at 6:15am. We could almost set a clock to the time he shows up every morning of the week. He’s always awake and friendly, even at that early hour. He’s also a great example of humility. As one of the values of Industrial Athletics, we have a particular bias toward those who are a quiet storm. No celebration and fanfare is necessary. He puts in the work and gets the results. He’s often seen in the gym hitting lifting PRs and developing his bar muscle up with a quiet confidence. The Athlete of the Month for January 2020 is:
1. Where are you from originally? Emmaus, PA. It’s a small town about an hour north of Philadelphia.
2. If not from Pittsburgh, what brought you to Pittsburgh? I came to Pittsburgh to attend the University of Pittsburgh and ended up staying.
3. Where do you work? I work at small software development company called Zap Solutions.
4. What is your favorite hobby? My favorite hobby is traveling.
5. How did you discover CrossFit? Back in 2008 I was working at the University of Pittsburgh and was able to use the gym there over my lunch break. During one gym session, I saw a couple guys doing some “funny movements”. I didn’t know it at the time but they were doing muscle ups and sumo deadlift high pulls. I often saw the same guys at the gym and one day heard them mention CrossFit and the rest is history.
6. When did you start CrossFit? I started CrossFit in the Winter of 2016.
7. Why did you start CrossFit? I had been following CrossFit for a while and trying some things on my own but my wife encouraged me to finally sign up for a class.
8. What is your favorite thing to do in CrossFit? Rowing, pull ups, and heavy cleans
9. What is your least favorite thing to do in CrossFit? Double unders
10. What is the number 1 thing you want to get better at? I want to be able to string together muscle ups
11. What is your favorite part about coming to CrossFit at Industrial Athletics? Hands down the community. I have gone to A LOT of gyms and always worked out by myself. I didn’t really think working out in a group would be my thing…but I was wrong.
12. What is your favorite CrossFit WOD? Cindy