Our Athlete of the Month for July 2022 started at Industrial Athletics almost a year ago. Since then, he has joined the Coach’s Corner Program with Coach Richard, jumped on a team for our Open Team Competition, and completed Murph. With a background in fitness, picking up on the more complex movements of CrossFit was pretty easy. However, he has shown real progress by focusing on the skills like kipping pullups and double unders (especially after the double under seminar). He shows up almost daily to the early morning classes always with a huge smile on his face. The Athlete of the Month for July 2022 is:
- Where are you from originally? I was born in India, moved to the states when I was 6 and moved around a bit before settling outside of Detroit, Michigan for high school and college (and where my parents live now).
- If not from Pittsburgh, what brought you to Pittsburgh? Job + location (close to both my girlfriend Courtney’s family as well as my own family in Michigan).
- Where do you work? I work for UPMC as an oncologist, mostly at Trinity Hospital in Steubenville, Ohio but occasionally at other offices (UPMC East, Passavant, etc).
- What is your favorite hobby? I love to rock climb. For anyone interested – there is incredible rock climbing all over PA and WV with plenty of guides who provide lessons.
- How did you discover CrossFit? One of my buddies used to send me CrossFit workouts he would do (put up online by a local gym) and I started following some of them.
- When did you start CrossFit? August 2021 at IA!
- Why did you start CrossFit? I had been trying to learn CrossFit movements via YouTube (with mixed success) and eventually decided that I would probably gain more from real life coaching. Also, the endorphin high.
- What is your favorite thing to do in CrossFit? I love learning/practicing new skills – whether its Olympic lifts or double unders. Each time I notice myself getting better it feels like I’m gaining a superpower.
- What is your least favorite thing to do in CrossFit? Snatches because I’m terrible at them.
- What is the number 1 thing you want to get better at? Snatches because I’m terrible at them.
- What is your favorite part about coming to CrossFit at Industrial Athletics? The community and the coaches. The community feels supportive and positive, and it is motivating to see people . The coaches are observant, engaged, and always providing useful feedback.
- What is your favorite CrossFit WOD? Controversial take – Murph. Great endorphin rush.