When we were deciding who to name as our Athlete of the Month for June 2022, we really wanted to celebrate someone a little unexpected. Month after month, the coaches come together to pick a member who embraces the values of IA. Until June 2022, we always settled on someone from our CrossFit Group Class. However, for June 2022, we decided to branch out. The Athlete of the Month for June 2022 is one of our private training clients. He started at IA before COVID, but was inconsistent. Then, during the shutdown, he continued with us as a virtual private training client. Since reopening, he’s come in three days a week almost every week. He is energized, he is motivated, and he is perhaps the nicest person you will even meet. The Athlete of the Month for June 2022 is:
- Where are you from originally? I’m a lifelong Pittsburgher originally from Monaca, PA.
- If not from Pittsburgh, what brought you to Pittsburgh? N/A
- Where do you work? I’m the education manager at the new Moonshot Museum in the Northside. When we open this Fall, you can go on space adventures in a futuristic lunar landscape and even see real spacecraft being built that are flying to the Moon!
- What is your favorite hobby? I love playing clarinet with my pals in a jazz trio, Rocketman and the Space Babies.
- How did you discover CrossFit? I took Coach Matt’s virtual PT during the lockdown. He gives 110% to every session with personable and precise instruction. The IA coaching team is world-class. Matt, Rich, Leslie, and Jen are awesome teachers, continually challenging me to pick myself back up and try again.
- When did you start CrossFit? March 2020
- Why did you start CrossFit? In 2017, I had surgery to remove a nerve tumor in my left foot. Afterward I had long-term pain and daily walking was exhausting. Coming to IA has given me my life back. I’m doing things I never thought possible!
- What is your favorite thing to do in CrossFit? Deadlifts! Bench presses. Push-ups. The box jump is immensely satisfying. When I clear the box, I feel like Spiderman.
- What is your least favorite thing to do in CrossFit? Assault Bike! My arch nemesis. The Khan to my Kirk. The first time I got on that sucker as a newbie, I commented that the breeze from the spinning wheels was nice. Ignorance is bliss.
- What is the number 1 thing you want to get better at? Pull-ups, building arm strength. Also push-ups and jump rope.
- What is your favorite part about coming to CrossFit at Industrial Athletics? When I walk through the door it feels like home. This is an awesome community that works hard together, laughs together, and looks out for each other. IA has helped me build a better mindset. I love the concept in the Stronger Revolution Podcast of improving through the “aggregation of marginal gains”. IA has helped me be more confident, and to stay determined when I hit setbacks.
- What is your favorite CrossFit WOD? WODs with Deadlifts.