March is here. Are we ready for Spring? With the beginning of March comes a new Athlete of the Month. This month, we recognize someone who has been with us for a year. She joined with her friends and has become a mainstay at 5:30pm. Combined with her physical achievements, she committed to the Whole 30 challenge shortly after joining, liked how it changed her body, and stuck with it. She stepped up this year and challenged herself in our Open Team Competition. Keep your eyes out and you might see her standing on her hands like she’s standing on two feet. The Athlete of the Month for March 2019 is:
1. Where are you from originally? About 40 minutes Northeast of Pittsburgh, near Vandergrift, PA.
2. If not from Pittsburgh, what brought you to Pittsburgh?
3. Where do you work? I work as a recruiter for a staffing firm right around the corner from the gym. My office window is situated so that I inadvertently get to creep on everyone coming and going from IA all day long. Give me a beep sometime!
4. What is your favorite hobby? CrossFit is the most obvious answer. I also enjoy spending time with my pup, Remi. She’s quick to learn new tricks and eager for the attention.
5. How did you discover CrossFit? A story you may have heard before: Zach, Cris, Kevin and I were looking to start a new fitness routine. I told them I would only commit if we chose IA because (I’m needy) it was the most convenient option for me. We attended fundamentals class a week later and never looked back!
6. When did you start CrossFit? Exactly 1 year ago this month.
7. Why did you start CrossFit? Years of working a sedentary office job started to take a toll on me physically and mentally. I was feeling lethargic and understimulated. I jumped at the opportunity to make a lifestyle change with the support of my friends.
8. What is your favorite thing to do in CrossFit? As a former gymnast, give me allllll of the gymnastics elements. That’s what comes most naturally to me.
9. What is your least favorite thing to do in CrossFit? Running and rowing. My legs burn out so quickly.
10. What is the number 1 thing you want to get better at? Perfecting my technique/form on all lifts is at the top of my list. My fun, side goal has always been to do a muscle up. I have a dream at least once a week that I do one “accidentally” while doing pull ups……
11. What is your favorite part about coming to CrossFit at Industrial Athletics? Again with the obvious answer: the community. In particular, watching my teammates improve alongside me. We get to celebrate victories small and large together everyday. No one is going to be as excited about someone adding 5lbs to a PR as coach Jenn and my 5:30PM lifting buddies.
12. What is your favorite CrossFit WOD? I love a challenging metcon with descending reps. There’s something encouraging about seeing the numbers get smaller as the reps get harder.