It is time to announce our Athlete of the month for March 2021. This month, the coaches chose someone who regularly attends and 7:15am and 9am classes. As he says below, he shows up and he puts in the work. This year, he signed up for the 800g/Open Mega Challenge. This will be his first year in our Open Team Competition. He also brought his wife to IA in February to our Swolemate event. We love it when members try to get their friends and family to do CrossFit with them. The Athlete of the Month for March 2021 is:
1. Where are you from originally? I’m from a small town in Upstate New York called Whitney Point. Population 828.
2. If not from Pittsburgh, what brought you to Pittsburgh? I had a friend going to CMU, friends and I would take skate trips down here. Once I graduated college I decided to move to PGH and figure it out.
3. Where do you work? I cut hair at Crown Barbershop in Garfield and I make art in my workspace in my basement.
4. What is your favorite hobby? Skateboarding. It’s all I think about, at work, parenting, at the gym, in the shower… skateboarding.
5. How did you discover CrossFit? I had some friends doing it in other cities. Seemed interesting to me, however i wanted to join but kept saying “i’ll check it out next month” for 6 months.
6. When did you start CrossFit? I started in November 2018, when my wife signed me up with the help of Biker Zack behind my back. Threw me in the deep end.
7. Why did you start CrossFit? I wanted to get in better shape over all, I knew I couldn’t do it by myself. I was someone who biked to the gym, then cycled for 30 minutes, barely touched any other equipment and then biked home. I needed someone to tell me what to do.
8. What is your favorite thing to do in CrossFit? Jumping rope, it’s what we did to get the blood flowing on skate trips and on tour.
9. What is your least favorite thing to do in CrossFit? Wall Balls, but they are growing on me.
10. What is the number 1 thing you want to get better at? Pushups, pull ups, anything upper body. I didn’t use my arms for the last 20+ years of skating.
11. What is your favorite part about coming to CrossFit at Industrial Athletics? I think the positive mental attitude that I get after working out.
12. What is your favorite CrossFit WOD? The one where everyone cheered me on and carried me on their shoulders afterwards. But seriously I couldn’t tell you any WOD’s from last week. I show up, look at the board, do the work out, pack it up and look forward to the next WOD.