It is with great joy that we announce our Athlete of the Month for May 2017. This athlete has been a member since 2014, which seems like such a long time ago. He and his husband, Gary, are daily attendees at the 5:15am class. He regularly attends our social events, participates in the monthly CFE’s, and is always pushing hard with an unmistakable look of determination. He’s also been described as the pound for pound strongest athlete at Industrial Athletics. The Athlete of the month for May 2017 is:
1. Where are you from originally?
I’m originally from San Francisco.
2. If not from Pittsburgh, what brought you to Pittsburgh?
I moved here three years ago for a three-year fellowship program at Magee-Womens Hospital.
3. Where do you work?
Currently, I work as a high-risk pregnancy physician at Magee; I’ll be moving back to Portland, Oregon for work at the end of June.
4. What is your favorite hobby?
Aside from CrossFit, my favorite hobby is to eat!
5. How did you discover CrossFit?
I heard about CrossFit through a couple of my co-workers.
6. When did you start CrossFit?
I did the Fundamentals Program in August 2014.
7. Why did you start CrossFit?
After we moved to Pittsburgh, my husband (Gary Gregoricka) and I were looking to get into better shape. The group fitness setting seemed like a nice way to spend time together!
8. What is your favorite thing to do in CrossFit?
9. What is your least favorite thing to do in CrossFit?
I think Coach Jen and Fireman Dave would agree that wall balls are an unusually cruel form of punishment for me.
10. What is the number 1 thing you want to get better at?
Right now, I’m hoping to work my way to a ring muscle-up.
11. What is your favorite part about coming to CrossFit at Industrial Athletics?
It’s such a pleasure to work out with the same folks every morning. It’s fun to see familiar faces at any time of day, but I’ve loved seeing the 5:15 crew for the last 3 years!
12. What is your favorite CrossFit WOD?
I love the 12 days of Christmas! Really, though, I love any workout with a nice mix of bodyweight, barbell, and gymnastics movements. I particularly love burpees, muscle-ups, and double unders!