It is time to announce the Athlete of the Month for November 2017. This member has been with us for almost a year and is a delight to have in class. Whenever he walks in, there is always a smile on his face and he is always ready to go. Never one to complain, he puts his head down, gives his best effort, and comes back for more. Despite working two jobs and being a student, he always finds time to workout, attending coach’s corner meetings, get in some extra work, monitor his strict diet, attend local competitions, and come to social events. The November 2017 Athlete of the Month is:
1. Where are you from originally? I am from Beaver, PA. Not too far from the city.
2. If not from Pittsburgh, what brought you to Pittsburgh? N/A
3. Where do you work? I am the Graduate Assistant of Philanthropy and Fundraising for the office of Institutional Advancement at Robert Morris University. I am 3 courses shy of getting my Master’s.
I also work at the Slippery Mermaid serving sushi a few afternoons and evenings a week. Come say hello sometime!
4. What is your favorite hobby? When I am not busy with work or school I really do spend a lot of time on my health and fitness. I have really gotten into some good books and podcasts lately. I have recently been teaching myself some graphic design.
5. How did you discover CrossFit? I had noticed it on tv before or on social media and felt pretty interested, and also amazed at what these athletes can do.
6. When did you start CrossFit? I started CrossFit the last week of this past January.
7. Why did you start CrossFit? I really wanted to challenge myself. As a rugby player in college I was spending so much time on lifting and getting my cardio in so I could perform for 80 minutes. I no longer wanted to spend so much time in the gym and had just jumped at the chance to give CrossFit a shot.
8. What is your favorite thing to do in CrossFit? I love doing box jumps of any variation. Now that I can finally do them I really like double-unders.
9. What is your least favorite thing to do in CrossFit? We do not do them that often but I could go without doing SDHP’s
10. What is the number 1 thing you want to get better at? There are so many movements that I would like to improve on, but one thing I really want to gain is better body awareness and that ability to stay relaxed through a workout
11. What is your favorite part about coming to CrossFit at Industrial Athletics? The people. From the coaches to every last member, it is such a welcoming environment. I enjoy showing up everyday I can make it.
12. What is your favorite CrossFit WOD? As far as hero or female named WOD I really like MURPH and cannot wait to tackle that one again. Other than that, if a WOD includes mid to long distance running or HP cleans, then I’m happy