We chose the Athlete of the Month for November 2020 because we wanted to recognize a truly busy person who doesn’t use the excuse, “I don’t have time.” Granted, she also fits all the other criteria for Athlete of the Month.
This member works a lot. However, when she is not working, she prioritizes her health and fitness. When she first showed up to our Free Intro, she made Coach Matt pinky swear (literally) that he would not let her quit. Thankfully, he hasn’t had to enforce that pinky swear, HA! She shows up with her bright smile, gives 100%, and encourages others along the way. Even during quarantine, she could be found working out in the parking lot of her friend’s apartment just to make sure they both got it in.
The Athlete of the Month for November 2020 is:
1. Where are you from originally? I am from North Huntingdon, a suburb of Pittsburgh
2. If not from Pittsburgh, what brought you to Pittsburgh?
3. Where do you work? I work at UPMC Mercy, for 20 years.
4. What is your favorite hobby? Well, Crossfit has become my favorite hobby… But I love to spend my free time with my family and friends.
5. How did you discover CrossFit? A dear friend of mine was doing Crossfit and she bugged me every day to call you (Matt) and to join. I was on my way to 300 lbs. She finally gave up on asking and that is when I called. I was so nervous, well let’s be real, I still get really nervous!
6. When did you start CrossFit? I started in June of 2018. Best thing I have ever done.
7. Why did you start CrossFit? Like I had mentioned above, I was spiraling, my weight kept going up, I wasn’t taking any care of myself. I was abusing myself and my body, it was time for a big change and to start to love myself (which is constantly an ongoing battle).
8. What is your favorite thing to do in CrossFit? I love the barbell, push presses, snatches ( hang power lol)
9. What is your least favorite thing to do in CrossFit? I’m going to say it, BURPEES!! They will always be so hard for me.
10. What is the number 1 thing you want to get better at? I would love to work on my endurance, and get my strength back. Build back up to my PR’s. Also, I recently learned that I was rowing wrong, ha! So I would like to work on that also.
11. What is your favorite part about coming to CrossFit at Industrial Athletics? The community, my friends, all of the support and no judgments. And I feel so good after the workout.
12. What is your favorite CrossFit WOD? Isabel.