Over the last year (plus), our Athlete of the Month for November 2022 has really settled into Industrial Athletics. She started on her own because she wanted a new fitness challenge. When she sat down with us for her No Sweat Intro, she talked about hiking. She wanted to make hiking easier. She was focused on a half Rachel Carson the following years and she wanted CrossFit to get her there. Now, in November 2022, she not only achieved her goal, but she keeps getting better. Recently, because of her level of fitness, she completed a 10 mile hike like it was no big deal and felt great the next day. That’s the magic of CrossFit. You train so you can express your fitness through experiencing life. The Athlete of the Month for November 2022 is:
- Where are you from originally? I was born in Germany, but mostly grew up in Richardson, Texas.
- If not from Pittsburgh, what brought you to Pittsburgh? My ex husband’s job
- Where do you work? I work from home for a mortgage company called Radian
- What is your favorite hobby? Hiking and foraging mushrooms!
- How did you discover CrossFit? It was honestly on a whim. I had a friend mention CrossFit as too difficult when I was researching work out options for myself. I like a challenge so I decided to google CrossFit and learned that even those at the beginning stages of their fitness journey can modify. To me the logic was clear that if people who do CrossFit are stereotyped as being in peak fitness than it must work.
- When did you start CrossFit? August 2021
- Why did you start CrossFit? I loved/love hiking and wanted to increase my stamina on the trail. Maybe even do a half (Homestead) Rachel Carson Challenge, which I did complete last June. Mostly though, as a domestic violence survivor who has actively worked on her healing over the past 5 years I finally reached a point where I wanted my outer body to match my inner strength. I know that part of healing the mind and heart is also healing the body. Working on becoming stronger physically has helped me grow mentally and emotionally as well.
- What is your favorite thing to do in CrossFit? I really like deadlifts!
- What is your least favorite thing to do in CrossFit? Thrusters, haha!
- What is the number 1 thing you want to get better at? I would love to achieve an unassisted pull up.
- What is your favorite part about coming to CrossFit at Industrial Athletics? The supportive environment! All of the coaches are so dedicated to helping us achieve proper form and prevent injury. The other athletes are encouraging and inspiring. I feel instantly happy stepping foot into IA!
- What is your favorite CrossFit WOD? I really enjoyed Murph!