Our November athlete of the month tends to fly under the radar in class. He may not be as vocal as other members but his worth ethic speaks for itself. He loves to travel and spend quality time with his wife. You will find him in the 6:15am class on most days of the week in his favorite square by the assault bikes. Our athlete of the month for November is:
- Where are you from originally? I grew up in Churchill which is just east of Pittsburgh.
- If not from Pittsburgh, what brought you to Pittsburgh?
- Where do you work? I work at Snowflake; I know, I know, not a great name. We are a cloud computing data company where I work on the Sales Engineering team.
- What is your favorite hobby? I really love traveling and coffee. My wife and I try to travel as much as we can and have done some great weekend trips around Pittsburgh (I highly recommend Thomas, WV!) and we recently traveled to Greece. I have a coffee problem… I roast my own coffee and have an espresso machine at home!
- How did you discover CrossFit? I discovered CrossFit through Garrett Carson (he went by G-Force at the gym) when we worked together years ago. He pushed me to try it out when he was coaching at IA.
- When did you start CrossFit? I started CrossFit on September 6, 2017! I had to look up my initial email to Matt from 6 years ago. However, I honestly have never been consistent until the last 4 months. I think it proves that it’s never too late to get started again!
- Why did you start CrossFit? After college, I was not as active as I wanted to be and I had put on some weight over a few years of inactivity. Everyday I would have trouble falling asleep and I would wake up with a sore back. After starting CrossFit, I feel much healthier and I don’t have random soreness unless we do huge sets of thrusters!
- What is your favorite thing to do in CrossFit? I like doing cardio and bodyweight exercises. If I had to just pick just one exercise, I’d say planks. I’m not really good at them but I enjoy doing them!
- What is your least favorite thing to do in CrossFit? This one is easy, Snatches
- What is the number 1 thing you want to get better at? I really want to get better at pullups, I have improved a lot this year but would love to be able to crank out a set of strict pull ups.
- What is your favorite part about coming to CrossFit at Industrial Athletics? Definitely the people, I love the coaches and the community we have in our 6:15 class! Everyone is so supportive and constantly cheering each other on.
- What is your favorite CrossFit WOD? My favorite CrossFit WOD would include bodyweight exercises and cardio. I love the workouts that go through a list of exercises but you never repeat any. It feels gratifying to cross things off a list and know you don’t have to do them again in the workout.