It is with great pleasure that we announce the Athlete of the Year for 2018. This individual was one of our Athlete of the Month for 2018. At the end of each year, we ask the Athletes of the Month from that year to vote on who they think best exemplifies Industrial Athletics. The Industrial Athletics Athlete of the Year for 2018 is:
1. What does it mean to you to be selected as Athlete of the Year?
It means a lot to me, especially because our Athlete of the Month members are incredible. It’s a really cool to have my actions affirmed and recognized. And it’s a great reminder to hold myself to a high standard.
2. What is one goal you have achieved since you were Athlete of the Month?
I’ve worked on being coachable, learning to listen and respond to feedback given to me. It’s something I’ve been really intentional about and can see it making an impact in more ways than one. It’s also strengthened my confidence, which is as powerful as any skill in a workout.
3. What is the #1 thing that contributed to you accomplishing that goal?
Humbling myself to know that in most cases my coach knows a little better than I do. Silencing my head voice and opening a space for feedback has made a huge difference.
4. What is the main aspect of CrossFit that keeps you coming back for more?
The community, no doubt. We have a really special group of people who genuinely care for one another with a “can do” attitude. Surrounding myself with positive and encouraging people keeps me excited to come back everyday.
5. What is 1 thing you have changed in your life recently that has led to more success in the gym?
I’ve got to give the shout out to Andrew here. We got engaged and he joined the gym, which gives us a chance to nerd out on CrossFit together and spend time doing something we love.
6. What is the best piece of advice you can give to a current CrossFitter that you think will help with longevity in CrossFit?
Spend time at the gym outside of regular class getting to know other members and building relationships.
7. What is the best piece of advice you can give someone new looking to try CrossFit?
Do it and commit – to get the best out of it, all in is the way to go. Once you start, take your time building a really good foundation and know that you’ll get stronger and improve everyday.
8. What is the #1 way CrossFit has changed your life.
It’s changed my life in many ways but one that stands out to me is the positive environment. It’s a space that I can go everyday and know people will be kind and ready to put in work.