It is time to announce the February 2015 Athlete of the Month. This person has been a member of CrossFit Alloy at Industrial Athletics since March of 2014. Since he joined, he has consistently come to class on a weekly basis and his progress shows. His hard work and dedication paid off this past weekend when he competed in his first CrossFit Competition in Fairmont, WV. He entered the novice division and finished in the top 8. Making it to the finals in his first Competition was a huge achievement. We saw him in pain, saw him lying on the ground trying to catch his breath, and saw him hoist a 200lb stone onto his shoulder.
The February 2015 Athlete of the Month is:
BRIAN BLACKA, a/k/a OB
1. Where are you from originally?
I grew up near Pittsburgh, I went to Penn Trafford High School. It’s about 40 minutes east of Downtown.
2. If not from Pittsburgh, what brought you to Pittsburgh?
I moved to the city for college and never left.
3. Where do you work?
I’m a project engineer at Letterle and Associates.
4. What is your favorite hobby?
Mountain biking or skiing, depending on the season.
5. How did you discover CrossFit?
Brian (B) talked me into trying it when I was looking for a gym to join after college.
6. When did you start CrossFit?
7. Why did you start CrossFit?
I wanted to stay in shape after college, and wanted to be challenged.
8. What is your favorite thing to do in CrossFit?
I like the Olympic Lifts, anything heavy.
9. What is your least favorite thing to do in CrossFit?
10. What is the number 1 thing you want to get better at?
Any body weight movements, especially ring dips.
11. What is your favorite part about coming to CrossFit at Industrial Athletics?
I like to have the opportunity to push myself as hard as I can everyday, especially when I can go to class in the morning before work. It usually helps me to have a more productive day, and I feel better in general (after the workout at least). But the people I workout with is what keeps me coming back to Industrial. It’s a great group to be a part of.