For the month of October, the coaches chose an athlete who has demonstrated consistency and community over the years. Every year we’ve had the Open Team competition, he has been on a team. He remained part of IA during the shutdown of 2020 and used his time to improve his running. Over the last year, he has returned to IA upon reopening, proudly put on his mask when we had to do that, and continues to attend regularly at 7:15am before heading to his job. The Athlete of the Month for October 2021 is:
- Where are you from originally? I grew up about 45 minutes east of Pittsburgh in Delmont, PA.
- If not from Pittsburgh, what brought you to Pittsburgh? After college, I moved to NY where I lived for 15 years before coming back to Pittsburgh in 2018 to be closer to family.
- Where do you work? I work for an insurance broker called Henderson Brothers, Inc.
- What is your favorite hobby? Being active. I love playing sports, exercising, and challenging myself.
- How did you discover CrossFit? A former work colleague in NY was a coach at a local box and invited me to come and try a class. I joined him one evening after work and have been hooked ever since.
- When did you start CrossFit? 2013
- Why did you start CrossFit? I had heard how much people enjoyed it and I wanted a workout regimen besides just running that would help me get stronger and become a healthier and more well-rounded athlete as I got older.
- What is your favorite thing to do in CrossFit? I enjoy cardio and body weight exercises the most. Running is probably my number one favorite skill as it is my best discipline. I also enjoy barbell movements in WODs like cleans and shoulder to overhead.
- What is your least favorite thing to do in CrossFit? I think there are probably a few…Toes to Bar, handstand pushups, pullups, and deadlifts are my 4 least favorite.
- What is the number 1 thing you want to get better at? Improving my overall upper body strength with the goal of being able to do unassisted bar muscle-ups.
- What is your favorite part about coming to CrossFit at Industrial Athletics? I love CrossFit for the class environment where you can push each other and compete with each other as well. At IA, you get to know the other people in class and create some true friendships beyond just workout buddies. IA is my place to decompress each day with great people while I work to improve my physical fitness and refocus myself mentally from the stress of the day.
- What is your favorite CrossFit WOD? A great question…I’m not sure I can select just one but I really enjoy the Hero WODs. If I did have to select just one, I’d say Murph.