May is here. That means it is time to announce a new Athlete of the Month. This month, the coaches chose someone who has shown a lot of progress over the last few months. She joined us shortly after her brother and her sister-in-law almost a year ago. She is a regular part of our 5:30pm class and participated in her first CrossFit Open this year on one of our teams. She even gave us some of the best pain faces ever!!! She’s always positive and encouraging. The Athlete of the Month for May 2019 is:
1. Where are you from originally? Born and raised Pittsburgh. I grew up in the Summer Hill section of the city and currently reside in Ross Township.
2. If not from Pittsburgh, what brought you to Pittsburgh? N/A
3. Where do you work? I work at PNC in downtown as an accountant.
4. What is your favorite hobby? Other than CrossFit, I love playing Softball. 4 years of fast pitch in high school and now I play slow pitch through PSL.
5. How did you discover CrossFit? Jason and Emma, also members, are my brother and sister-in-law and they started telling me how great it was, how much fun it was, and what a great community it was. So I decided to give it a try and couldn’t be happier about it 🙂
6. When did you start CrossFit? I did fundamentals in July of 2018
7. Why did you start CrossFit? I always loved exercising, but I could never get myself to stick with it. The most I would stick with exercise is playing on a softball team or taking a walk. I wanted to do something different that would help me build muscle, as well as keep me in shape.
8. What is your favorite thing to do in CrossFit? Double Unders 🙂 I was able to get them relatively fast and I recently started doing them in workouts and have fun with them.
9. What is your least favorite thing to do in CrossFit? Rowing. Definitely rowing.
10. What is the number 1 thing you want to get better at? All of my cardio. Right now, I end up breathing so heavy and I have trouble finishing just a building run. I decided to make that my goal this year, to get better at cardio. As for a specific movement, I want to get better at doing pull-ups. I want to get to a point where I don’t need a band for a workout.
11. What is your favorite part about coming to CrossFit at Industrial Athletics? The community. I’ve made so many friends by coming to the gym. I’ll have an awful day, not want to talk, not want to go to the gym, but I suck it up and go and I end up laughing and talking with everyone. The community at IA is absolutely incredible. Everyone is so supportive of everyone and wants to see each other improve in everything.
12. What is your favorite CrossFit WOD? 19.2 was probably my favorite workout. I like using the pull-up rig, double unders, and lifting and that workout combined all of them. That workout was toes to bar (I did hanging leg raises), double unders (single unders was the scale, and squat cleans with increasing weights. I really liked the combination of those movements.