It is time to announce the Athlete of the Month for June 2018. This month we are recognizing one of the biggest personalities at Industrial Athletics. She is almost always smiling when she walks in the door. On the rare occasion she isn’t, she apologizes later for nothing being upbeat that particular day. She comes to everything we do at IA, she participates in our events and seminars, is a long term coach’s corner success story, and always makes sure she knows “the new face” in class. The Athlete of the Month for June 2018 is:
1. Where are you from originally?
Northwest suburbs of Chicago – St. Charles, IL.
2. If not from Pittsburgh, what brought you to Pittsburgh?
3. Where do you work?
Carnegie Mellon’s Office of Admission – I’m part of our admission staff and work on Marketing and Communications.
4. What is your favorite hobby?
CrossFit, for sure. It’s my favorite part of the day! I also love to read, podcast, and spend time with friends.
5. How did you discover CrossFit?
My colleague actually referred me to IA. I had heard about CrossFit from teammates and friends in college but didn’t know much more beyond that it existed and now I’m hooked.
6. When did you start CrossFit?
7. Why did you start CrossFit?
I needed something after college athletics to keep me regimented and fit. I was looking for a setting that resembled practice rather than just going to a gym and working out. This has given me the opportunity be part of a team (or gym family) and learn new skill. CrossFit has translated well beyond physical benefits – it’s helped me develop into a better person.
8. What is your favorite thing to do in CrossFit?
I love a good olympic lifting EMOM or short/quick (sub 15 minute) Metcon.
9. What is your least favorite thing to do in CrossFit?
Sumo Deadlift High Pulls – probably the only time you won’t see me smiling with a barbell in hand.
10. What is the number 1 thing you want to get better at?
Number 1 thing I want to continue to improve is my head game during cardio. I also want to improve gymnastic/body weight movements like pull-ups and handstand push-ups.
11. What is your favorite part about coming to CrossFit at Industrial Athletics?
I have a few favorites:
1. I love the grind – coming in and having a tough/challenging workout with everyone in class is so satisfying.
2. I love the community. It’s so genuine – IA is filled with members from all over the city in different stages of life and we get to engage/interact in something super humbling. Doing the open team competition this year was really cool because I got to see other members experience what I had the year before (getting their first pull-up!!)
3. I love the coaching staff – Matt & Jen have done such a great job making the gym a place people say they “get to” go to rather than “have to”.
12. What is your favorite CrossFit WOD?
It’s a toss up between Isabelle or Grace or anything that has power cleans 🙂